This page provides resources to assist federally insured credit unions voluntarily planning to merge with other federally insured credit unions, including:
- Frequently asked questions;
- Part 708b of the NCUA’s Rules and Regulations, which covers mergers of insured credit unions;
- Agency guidance on member-to-member communications during the merger process;
- Federal Register notice for the agency’s 2018 final rule;
- Required “fillable” merger forms; and
- Tools to help credit unions determine compatibility of their fields of membership and whether compensation disclosure is required;
Frequently Asked Questions
These FAQs will answer general merger-related questions. For inquiries specific to the COVID-19 pandemic, please visit NCUA’s Coronavirus (COVID-19): Information for Federally Insured Credit Unions and Members.
Merger Regulations and Guidance
You may download all the merger forms listed below as a zipped package or select individually.
Field of Membership Compatibility Matrix (opens new window) – This matrix is applicable if the continuing credit union is federally chartered and helps determine whether the fields of membership for the merging and continuing credit unions are compatible, based on their respective charters.
Merger-Related Financial Arrangement Comparison – Helps determine if the merging credit union is required to disclose any merger-related compensation.
Additional Questions on Mergers
Please contact your NCUA Regional Office with any questions, using the applicable email address or telephone contact information below.