Brian Vittek, President and CEO of Destinations Credit Union, (center left); John Hope Bryant, Founder, Chairman, and CEO of Operation HOPE (center); and NCUA Chairman Rodney E. Hood (center right), take part in the ribbon-cutting ceremony of a new HOPE financial literacy center opening inside a Destinations Credit Union in Parkville, Md., on July 18, 2019.
The NCUA is proud to announce its Advancing Communities through Credit, Education, Stability, and Support, or ACCESS, initiative, which will bring together agency leaders to develop policies and programs that support financial inclusion within the NCUA and more broadly, throughout the credit union system. By building on our successes, ACCESS will expand existing efforts to address the financial services and financial literacy needs of underserved and diverse communities, as well as expand opportunities for employment.
- The NCUA Chairman Rodney E. Hood
Financial inclusion is enabled through credit, education, stability, and support.
- Expanding access to credit gives more Americans the opportunity to build businesses, afford higher education, achieve the dream of homeownership, and create strong, vibrant communities.
- Expanding access to financial literacy education helps consumers start on the right path financially and make smart financial decisions that improve their financial well-being.
- Ensuring financial stability allows credit unions that serve minority and underserved areas to thrive and meet the evolving financial needs of their members and by extension, their communities.
- Supporting new employment opportunities for minorities, women, the disabled, and the underserved allows these individuals to join the financial mainstream and benefit from greater economic opportunity.