The Federal Financial Institutions Examination Council's (FFIEC)1 recent guidance on Year 2000 customer awareness programs stated the FFIEC was developing a customer brochure highlighting the efforts of financial institutions and the FFIEC to address the Year 2000 computer problem (see FIL-52-98, dated May 13, 1998). The brochure, The Year 2000 Date Change, is now available to the public and is being issued by the National Credit Union Administration (NCUA) for credit unions and the Federal Deposit Insurance Corporation (FDIC) for other financial institutions.
- addresses basic consumer questions about the potential effects of the Year 2000 date change on financial institutions;
- reassures consumers that the industry and regulators are taking appropriate steps to address the problem; and
- reminds consumers that the Year 2000 date change will not affect their National Credit Union Share Insurance Fund (NCUSIF) deposit insurance coverage.
You may reprint the brochure in its entirety without prior permission from the NCUA. You may also customize the brochure to fit the needs of your credit union. However, unless the brochure text is used in its entirety, without modification, you may not use the NCUA and NCUSIF logos and you may not attribute the brochure to the NCUA.
Procedures for Obtaining Copies of the Brochure
Camera-Ready Art to Make Your Own Reprints
Due to the substantial demand anticipated for this brochure, the NCUA is providing all NCUSIF-insured institutions with the attached camera-ready art that they may use to produce their own supplies of the brochure. Also attached you will find a sample of the printed brochure.
Copies Available Directly from the NCUA:
- A copy of the brochure can be downloaded from the NCUA’s Internet site. The brochure is located at: www.ncua.gov/ (select Year 2000, The Year 2000 Date Change Brochure).
- Single copies of the brochure may be obtained from NCUA by writing, faxing or e-mailing your request to your NCUA Regional Office.
- You my obtain bulk quantities of the brochure by sending your request to the address listed below. The cost of the brochure will be $7.50 for 50 copies. Your request should be written on your institution's letterhead and must include a contact name, a telephone number where the contact may be reached, the title of the document, and the number of copies requested (in multiples of 50). Submit your request to:
National Credit Union Administration
Office of Administration
1775 Duke Street
Alexandria, VA 22314-3428
If you have any questions about The Year 2000 Date Change brochure, please contact your examiner, regional office, or state supervisory authority (for state credit unions).
Norman E. D’Amours, Chairman
National Credit Union Administration Board