Dear Board of Directors and Chief Executive Officer:
Credit unions located in metropolitan areas that engage in certain types of residential mortgage lending and that had assets exceeding $44 million as of December 31, 2015, must file a report this year on mortgage loan applications received during 2016. The filing is required under the Home Mortgage Disclosure Act (HMDA), as implemented by the Consumer Financial Protection Bureau’s Regulation C.1
Credit unions subject to HMDA requirements in calendar year 2016 must submit Loan Application Register data to the Federal Reserve Board by March 1, 2017.
To determine if your credit union must submit HMDA data for calendar year 2016 activity, please review Regulatory Alert 16-RA-01, “Home Mortgage Disclosure Act (HMDA) Data Collection Requirements for Calendar Year 2016” (January 2016).
The enclosure to this Regulatory Alert:
- Describes options for filing calendar year 2016 HMDA data;
- Provides a link to the HMDA Data Entry Software;
- Discusses the Federal Reserve Board’s processing procedures;
- Explains NCUA’s policy about late submission of required HMDA data; and
- Provides access to resources to assist in filing HMDA data.
If you have questions, please contact NCUA’s Office of Consumer Financial Protection and Access at 703.518.1140 or at ComplianceMail@ncua.gov, or contact your regional office or state supervisory authority.
J. Mark McWatters
12 U.S.C. 2801-2810; 12 CFR Part 1003.